About Judge Young
How You Can Help
Experienced. Knowledgeable. Dedicated. Fair.
About Judge Young
DISTRICT COURT JUDGE, 28TH Judicial District
December 2002 – Present
- Preside over all matters within the jurisdiction of District Court including Family Court, Criminal Court – felony and misdemeanors, Domestic Violence/Civil Restraining Orders, Jury/Nonjury Civil Trials, Child Support, Family Treatment Court.
- Developed, organized and implemented Buncombe County Family Treatment Court from August 2004 to present. Family Treatment Court provides intensive supervision assisting individuals working with the Department of Social Services in reuniting with their children by participating in intensive substance abuse treatment.
- Member of Asheville’s Downtown Social Issues Taskforce addressing problems associated with homelessness, graffiti, loitering and panhandling from 2003-2004.
- Member of Asheville/Buncombe County Drug Commission working with leaders in the Community to address the causes and consequences of drug abuse in our community from 2008-present.
- Participant and speaker in the WNC Leadership Symposium as part of a regional initiative to address critical mental health and substance abuse needs. Working collaboratively with local officials, legislators, and community agencies to build comprehensive strategies to address mental health and substance abuse reform.
- Participated in the development of Buncombe County’s JUST Program addressing the complex issues of mental health illness in the criminal justice system from July 2009 - present.
- Board Member Mountain Council on Alcohol and Drug Dependence – June 2008 - 2010
- Committee Member of Asheville/Buncombe Drug Commission – October 2008 – present
- Committee Member of Justice Advisory Committee – August 2008 - present
- ACS School Board Member – August 2006 – March 2010
- Board Member Buncombe County Women’s Commission – May 2002 – May 2006
COGBURN, GOOSMANN, BRAZIL & ROSE, P.A.
77 Central Avenue, Suite H, Post Office Box 7436, Asheville, NC 28802
Attorney – April 2001 – December 2002
BUNCOMBE COUNTY PUBLIC DEFENDER’S OFFICE
60 Court Plaza, Asheville, NC 28801
Attorney – May 1997 – April 2001
RUSSELL L. McLEAN, III ATTORNEY AT LAW
244 N. Main Street, Waynesville, NC 28786
Attorney – August 1996 – May 1997
EDUCATION: THOMAS M. COOLEY LAW SCHOOL, Lansing, Michigan
Juris Doctor, May 1994
Graduated Cum Laude, Member of Thomas M. Cooley Law Review, American Jurisprudence Awards in Research and Writing, Advocacy and Brief Writing, Sales and Negotiable Instruments, Certificates of Merit in Scholarly Writing II, and Computer Assisted Legal Research
STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK AT BUFFALO, Amherst, New York
Bachelor of Arts, February 1989
ENDICOTT COLLEGE, Beverly, Massachusetts
Associate of Science, May 1986